Friday, August 1, 2014

Cherry Clafouti

It's Friday.  It's the opening day of the Lake County Fair.  The weather is fine.  Every one is happy except Oliver.  He is missing his walk through the fairgrounds.  Dogs aren't allowed during the two weeks of the LCF--not even if they pay the price of admission.  So, he walks around the perimeter and gazes longingly through the fence.

We've been enjoying fresh cherries for several weeks.  Yesterday, I decided to make a clafoutis with some.  If you haven't made one, I think you'll be surprised at how easy it is to put on the table.  It has a texture similar to a flan and can be enjoyed as a dessert and/or a special breakfast treat.  It comes from the Limousin region of France where it is traditionally made with cherries and they are not pitted.  Seems that cherry pits impart the flavor of almonds when baked in a dish.  I strongly suggest you pit those cherries!  Amaretto is a good substitute for cherry pits.  If other fruits (Ina has a delicious recipe using pears) are used, it is called a flaugnarde.  I just call it delicious!

I've had this recipe for ages and can't remember how I happened upon it.  Back in the day, I didn't know I'd be writing a blog!!  


Cherry Clafoutis

2 cups sweet cherries, pitted
3 eggs at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp light brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup whole milk
1 Tbsp Amaretto (or 1/2 tsp almond extract)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Butter a 9x9 or 10x7 baking dish.  Scatter the cherries in the dish.
2.  Whisk the eggs, sugars, salt and flour together until smooth.
3.  Add the milk, Amaretto and vanilla extract.  Whisk until well blended.  Pour over the cherries.
4.  Bake for 45-50 minutes.  It should be lightly browned and puffed up.  Place on a rack to cool.  As it cools, it will deflate a bit.
5.  Serve at room temperature or chilled.

ENJOY!

19 comments:

  1. i love cherrry any thing and this is my first time to see or here of this clafouti.. i know i would love it since it has cherries and sugar in it.. poor Oliver.. sorry sweetie they will not let you in the fair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, that looks wonderful. I like the dish you've baked it in. I haven't done nearly enough with cherries this summer. (Except eat them right out of the bag!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! My husband would love this. Great information as well. I didn't know the clafoutis was limited to cherries. Give Oliver a pat on the head, and tell him time will pass quickly. Have a good weekend. B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Oliver. I think he might need a special treat. ;) Oh, I've been enjoying the fresh cherries lately. One of my favorite fruits!! This clafoutis looks wonderful, Bonnie! Thank you. Have a wonderful weekend. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. George remembers going to the fair when he lived there... Since he was in 4-H, he had animals entered into the fair most every year... BIG deal back then!!!

    Your Cherry dish sounds great ---and I would definitely get the pits out of those cherries.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had cherry clafouti and love it but have never made it. I think it is time I made one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whenever it is cherry season I make sure to enjoy them, Bonnie! They are smong my favorite fruits. I never knew a clafutis was supposed to be made with pittied cherries-I'd definitely unpit them like you did to make it easier to eat.This is a delicious dessert!
    Hope Oliver gets hid park back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love clafoutis dear and this with cherries look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We always love a clafouti and it's all the better with fresh cherries.Poor Oliver. I'm sure you'll make it up to him :)
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband enjoys this dessert..
    I just love looking at cherries!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure it tastes delicious and it looks absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dish's name derives from Occitan clafotís, from the verb clafir, meaning "to fill" (implied: "the batter with cherries") Yes, I looked it up and this is from Wikipedia. I just HAD to know. Well, for one thing, I think the word is hilarious! But I should not laugh at the French, they have the best food around, plus Jaques Pepin. It is truly beautiful with that lovely soft texture! Phil loves cherries and buys them all the time when they are in season, so I think I will make this, it is so easy! Especially for a French dish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love cherries and your clafouti looks delicious. It's a great dessert! I'm sure the fair can't be over fast enough for Oliver and I hope he gets a new toy and extra treats! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks beautiful, I'd take your pitting advice and I love your pretty baking dish:@)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My daughter made this very dessert a couple weeks ago, when our 5 cherry trees were ripe for the pickin'. It was delicious!!

    I had never heard of a clafouti until the day she made it.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never made a clafouti and would love to try it before the cherry season is over. It looks delicious, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't imagine making this without pitting the cherries even with the flavor the pits impart. This coming from someone who cracked a tooth and had to get a crown after eating fresh cherries with pits. I have never made a clafouti yet but I am always tempted by the lovely photos of them. Yours looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.