Despite the fact that the Lake County Fair is in full swing, we had a quiet weekend at home. While the bean spitting and wife calling contests were being held, our grass was mown and the garden was weeded and deadheaded. While sheep and cows and poultry was being judged, I went through lots of magazines and discarded too few of them. And, while flowers, fruits and vegetables were being judged, The Baker baked a cake.
Since almost retiring, he has installed himself as the pantry/refrigerator monitor. When he came upon a box of Odense Almond Paste leftover from Christmas baking, he noted that recipes were located inside. Hence, this delicious pound cake.
While we couldn't stop ourselves from having a piece after dinner, I know it will be even better as the week progresses.
Almond Pound Cake Odense Package Recipe
1 7 oz box Odense Almond Paste, grated
1 cup sugar
2 sticks butter at room temperature
4 large eggs at room temperature
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
Preheat oven to 325
1. With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the grated almond paste, sugar and butter until well mixed. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Beat on high until light and fluffy.
2. Sift the flour with the baking powder and add to the batter alternating with the milk. Start and end with the flour. Beat on low speed until just combined.
3. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 loaf pan and pour the batter in.
4. Bake for about 75 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
5. Cool the cake in the pan for five minutes, loosen the sides and unmold. Cool completely before cutting.