Monday, August 4, 2014

Almond Pound Cake

Despite the fact that the Lake County Fair is in full swing, we had a quiet weekend at home.  While the bean spitting and wife calling contests were being held, our grass was mown and the garden was weeded and deadheaded.  While sheep and cows and poultry was being judged, I went through lots of magazines and discarded too few of them.  And, while flowers, fruits and vegetables were being judged, The Baker baked a cake.

Since almost retiring, he has installed himself as the pantry/refrigerator monitor.  When he came upon a box of Odense Almond Paste leftover from Christmas baking, he noted that recipes were located inside.  Hence, this delicious pound cake.


While we couldn't stop ourselves from having a piece after dinner, I know it will be even better as the week progresses.



Almond Pound Cake Odense Package Recipe

1 7 oz box Odense Almond Paste, grated
1 cup sugar
2 sticks butter at room temperature
4 large eggs at room temperature
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 325

1.  With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the grated almond paste, sugar and butter until well mixed.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.  Beat on high until light and fluffy.
2.   Sift the flour with the baking powder and add to the batter alternating with the milk.  Start and end with the flour.  Beat on low speed until just combined.
3.  Grease and flour a 9 x 5 loaf pan and pour the batter in.
4.  Bake for about 75 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
5.  Cool the cake in the pan for five minutes, loosen the sides and unmold.  Cool completely before cutting.

ENJOY!

18 comments:

  1. There is just something so satisfying about a good pound cake... one of the best simple pleasures in life. All the more when it is almond!! I'd love to be knocking on your door this week to beg a nice slice. ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. mothers looked like this but hers had no almond paste in it.. and she added chopped pecans to it sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking pound cake. I'm pinning this because I always have left-over almond paste when I make my Almond Limoncello cake and it ends up in the freezer and never used.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. seriously, anything with almond in it is simply heaven to me... this kind of simple cake is what tea was made for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love anything almond, and this pound cake sounds so good! My husband is retiring in October... I wish he loved to bake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it looks wonderful! Perfect texture. I never knew almond paste existed. What would be the difference between that and almond flavoring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almond paste is a mixture of ground almonds and sugar. It is somewhat the texture of refrigerated sugar cookie dough.

      Delete
  7. I'll be over around four . . . YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be honest, I'd probably choose pound cake over birthday cake! Wish I had a big ole slice:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks perfect and the berries are just right with this!
    Kudos to your baker.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like an incredibly relaxing and productive weekend. Pound cake is one of my favorite types of desserts and the almond paste is icing on the cake. Love it.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am drooling! I love pound cake. This looks so moist and delicious!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  12. The perfect reward for your hard work. I hope you are enjoying your week. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a beautiful pound cake to enjoy. Blessings, Catheirne

    ReplyDelete
  14. you do realized that this cake is perfection right? As in it looks just as buttery and soft and moist as those you find in a bakery! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love county/state fairs. Haven't been to one in ages!
    The cake looks delicious, a lovely crumb and I bet the almond flavor shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish my husband loved to bake too! Actually, it's probably better for my waistline that he doesn't :) Baker's pound cake sounds delicious with the almond paste in it. I love any bakery made with almond or almond paste! Maybe he should enter it in the fair!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.