Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Scones, Plain and Simple

It's 7:30 a.m. here in the midwest.  Have you had breakfast yet?  If not, you could whip up these scones in a trice.  Since I'm not sure exactly what a trice is, I'll just say you can have them table ready in a little more than thirty minutes.  This is a very simple recipe that is delicious.  Even The Baker was impressed!!

A few days ago, I had an early morning meeting at a friend's home. "Come hungry and I'll have something to nibble on with coffee" she said.  Shortly after arriving, she pulled a pan of scones from her oven.  They were delicious.  "So simple" she insisted.  I insisted, well I politely asked, on having the recipe.  In reading it over, I thought she'd left out something--namely butter.  "No!"  

I couldn't wait to make them for The Baker.  When he and Oliver left for their early morning walk, the kitchen was pristine.  When they came back, I was pulling the pan of scones out of the oven and the kitchen was still pristine.  There was no flour on the counters and floor--or me.

An added bonus:  They were just as good the next day.





Scones 

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 cup heavy cream, well chilled

NOTE:  I sprinkled the top of mine with sparkling sugar crystals before baking.

Preheat over to 350

1.  Combine the dry ingredients in a mixer bowl.  With the mixer stopped, pour in all the cream and mix on low speed for 10 seconds.
2.  Remove to a lightly floured board and quickly pat into a round about 3/4 of an inch thick.  
3.  Cut into six equal triangles then quickly form each into a rough round.
4.  Place on a lightly oil sprayed baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.  Rotate the pan halfway through.
Makes 6

ENJOY!

22 comments:

  1. I love recipes like this and scones and their coffee cousins biscotti are my weakness. Yours are worth at least a pound that will move directly to my hips :-) These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious! I've pinned the recipe and will definitely be giving it a try.

    Thanks,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. These scones look delicious. I definitely would enjoy a couple of with my coffee.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you love going somewhere..being served something..and it just tastes soo good you HAVE to make it?
    It used to happen in real estate..I would visit a client and she would have something for me..
    I find it makes lovely food memories..
    Love scones..these sound really nice~

    ReplyDelete
  5. They do sound easy and look so delicious. I bet they were surprised after their walk.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love anything that can be made in a trice with a pristine kitchen AND looks so delicious. That's the trifecta of perfect food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have GOT to be kidding!!!! I cannot WAIT! WHAT about this is there not to like? AND no butter, how on earth does that work...

    ReplyDelete
  8. a'sconing I will go, a'sconing I will go
    hi ho the dairyo, a sconing I will go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, you are a hoot and a half!! It works because butter is made from heavy cream. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!! Once more: "a'sconing I will go......"

      Delete
  9. Sounds delicious, Bonnie. AND I'm sure the Baker was surprised to find such a good smelling kitchen when he got home... Thanks for the recipe. I love 'easy' ones!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. We must have been baking at the same time - I made blueberry lemon scones - so good!! (and just as good today!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bookmarked! I look forward to trying this for coffee with Ma the next time:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, no butter to cut in? this is definitely one to try. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, these sound yummy.
    A friend of mine was just talking about
    scones the other day, I'll have to pass
    this on to her.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, these look delicious! And recipes don't get much easier than that. I'll have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an easy sounding recipe…perfect with a cup of tea in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look and sound delicious and so does that egg! I made scones once and they were inedible, dry as a bone. I will have to try it again after seeing this! Thanks for the recipe and have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking delicious . . . dangerous when hungry!
    I am sending this on to my Scone making friend . . .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nothing beats scones! And if these can be made in a 'trice', they sound like a quick and easy recipe to get my scone fix!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah, the simple things in life are the best! Did Oliver get one too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow very quick and easy! i love this

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.