Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Green Bean, Tomato and Onion Salad

I had great plans for Sunday dinner.  The Saturday market had been full of fresh vegetables and the kitchen counter had still life displays of summer squash, tomatoes, green beans, corn, knob onions and beets.

Visions of childhood Sunday dinners kept tapping into my memory bank.  Tables laden with at least seven vegetable dishes, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, crisp golden-brown fried chicken, roasts of beef and pork and hot cornbread slathered in freshly churned butter.  The ladies in the kitchen bustling about.  The men on the porch discussing politics or sports or when dinner would be ready.  The children playing croquet (no rules and usually no wickets), chasing each other and hoping for an extra slice of chocolate pie.  Oh, I failed to mention the dessert table laden with a pound cake, a fruit crisp and the chocolate pie.

Since there was no one to bustle about the kitchen with me, I had to take a more doable approach.  This green bean salad did provide three vegetables.  I steamed some corn making it four.

Maybe I'll try again later in the summer.


Green Bean Salad

1 pound fresh green beans
1 cup of quartered cherry or grape tomatoes
2 green onions, finely chopped

1.  Place the tomatoes in a bowl and salt to taste.  Let the mixture sit for 15 to 20 minutes.  The tomatoes will give up some juice to add to the flavor.
2.  Snap the ends off the beans.  You can leave them whole but I prefer to break them into smaller pieces.
3.  Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.  Add the beans, cover, lower heat to medium and simmer for about five minutes.  Test.  You want them to be a bit crisp.
4.  Drain the beans and immediately add the tomatoes and the viniagrette.  Mix well and cover.  Let sit at room temperature until cool.  Refrigerate.

Vinaigrette Recipe (or, use your favorite)

3 Tbsp oil (I used olive oil)
2 Tbsp vinegar (I used white wine)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Shake!

ENJOY!

15 comments:

  1. Yes I remember those huge Sunday Dinners with the family... Such great memories...I have a blog friend in NC who still does this. All three adult children and families live nearby. They have their own garden ---so she is always fixing big Sunday Dinners for the entire family/families... I'm a little envious of that.

    Your Green Bean Salad sounds delicious. Thanks for the recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. A scene out of my childhood, my dad's delicious veggies out of his garden being a wonderful part of our Sunday Dinner. Lovely post, and thank you for this yummy recipe. Farmer's Market coming up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can always count on you for wonderful tomato recipes..
    This looks wonderful..
    I would say 4 is GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a garden salad such as this, Bonnie, served with an oil and vinegarette dressing, so that the flavors come through and shine. I have made some large Sunday dinners at my home this year, but it turns out my son in law and my son are my helpers, as they both are the cooks in their homes, and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty salad and so healthy too. I love that you've used a vinaigrette.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely salad, and the under-tongue-tingle thinking of that vinaigrette is akin to sniffing the French's jar.
    All those colors of tomatoes and just the iDEA of a counter-ful to choose from---great riches and bounty.

    We like that salad a lot, and even with the next-day "sogs" it's still scrumptious with a little crumbled cornbread in those fabulous tangy limp-veggie juices. OH. MY. Inspiration, oh boy.

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS I've tried to "follow" before, and the tee-ninecy letters down the side give me nowhere to click.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colorful, beautiful, and so easy!!! Your Sundays growing up sound so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This salad is beautiful and I'm sure very tasty, but it the memories of those Sunday dinners that has my mouth watering... Oh, sounds so good, Bonnie. blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie, I often long for those Sunday dinners. It seems we are all too busy and off in too many different directions. The salad looks and sounds delicious. Sounds perfect for the wonderful finds from the farmer's market! Thanks for sharing! B

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like summer on a plate to me! I love your story about Sunday Dinners back then... Great memories I'm sure:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simple, fresh and delicious, Bonnie. Oh yes, I remember those Sunday dinners too!
    Must comment on the pickled beets. My mother made them and often served them in a salad...one of my favorites as a child. My children never liked that salad, or pickled beets in general. Hate to see that old favorite lost in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i not only love all of those vegetables but I love the ease and simplicity of the dressing. It brings out the best flavor of each vegetable. This to me is a perfect summer meal and or side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely salad. There nothing better than fresh tomatoes. Sunday dinners do trigger a memory. Those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sunday meals sound so fun with that crowd and all that delicious food. I love those kind of Sundays, as well. But for my quieter Sundays ... this salad looks perfect.

    Seven vegetables is a lot ... I will be staying tuned for how you do it.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.