Friday, July 25, 2014

Aunt Lizzie's Quick Pickled Beets

It is a known fact that I love beets.  Roasted, pickled, in hash....!!  As soon as they appear in our farmers' market, they appear on my table.  I've used a number of different recipes that were very good.
  
A few weeks ago, I was thumbing through a cookbook and found a recipe card that had not seen the kitchen light in a very long time.  It is my handwriting but says it is "Aunt Lizzie's Beets".  Any recipe that I can attribute to her, I use.  She was a most excellent cook.  This recipe suits me well as I am not a canner of any note.  Truth is, I'm not a canner at all.  

Here is my aunt's recipe and it is worthy of carrying her name.


Simply Pickled Beets from Aunt Lizzie

8 medium sized beets, remove leaves but leave about one inch attached.  Don't cut the root off.  Wash well and enclose in aluminum wrap.  Roast at 400 degrees for about 35 minutes or until tender.  Cool, slip the peel off and cut into wedges.  Place into a container large enough to hold them and the liquid.

Pickling solution:

1/4 cup water
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar (or, your choice)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
tsp pink (or black) peppercorns
2 small bay leaves

Bring all to a boil and stir until the sugar and salt are incorporated.
Pour the hot liquid over the beets, cool and chill.  They keep for about a week.  The longer they marinate, the better they taste.

ENJOY!


20 comments:

  1. i am a beet lover toooooooo yummm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm.....I have to try these!! Love those beets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounding, looking good . . . a favorite of my mother's . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so funny---Ken and I were talking about
    Pickled Beets last night.

    Will keep this one in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow roasted first..♥I will try these!
    Love Beets:)
    I have started to buy Love Beets at Costco..do you have them in the US?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love BEETS --but don't eat them too much these days. I grew up eating 'cooked' beets --but love them pickled. Ah Shucks---I just love them anyway I can get them.. Thanks for the recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great recipe and healthy too. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bookmarked! As long as I can use cider vinegar, I'm in! Myself, my son and the other son's girlfriend all love picked beets and bay would be a new addition for us:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to find that recipe of your aunts. We are a house divided when it comes to beets. My husband loves them and I don't particularly like them., but they do look pretty.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. This makes me miss my parent's garden. They always grew beets and send me home with a big bag full of them every time I'd visit in late summer. I'd love to try Aunt Lizzie's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fresh beets are my favorite vegetable, but I have never learned to like them pickled. I love pickles, so not sure why.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie, I love beets as well. I love finding the different varieties and roasting them together. They make a beautiful dish to serve. My husband loves pickled beets. I'm saving this recipe. Hugs! B

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Bonnie, I'm with you on loving beets and these sound wonderful. Makes me smile about your Aunt Lizzie. We all have one of those in our family... not a bad recipe one in their collection. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love how you roasted these first and then pickled them. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love pickled beets and your aunt's recipe sounds great with the peppercorns and bay leaves added.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am not a fan of beets, but I may like them pickled! I pickled spicy radishes over the weekend - so good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.