Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Hawaii Dreaming and Kahala Salad Dressing

Daydreaming
about warmer climes brought Hawaii to mind
got me through last week when the snow and cold was becoming overwhelming.

The Baker had made a few foraging trips
(to the local grocery store)
to supplement our fast dwindling food supply.
I, however, had not set foot outside of the house in almost ten days!!!!!
We were doing a good job of using what was on hand.

This salad dressing recipe popped into my head.
It brought to mind plumeria blossoms,
orchids of more variety than I ever knew existed,
and comfortable beach chairs under palm trees
beside the blue Pacific.

I added fresh limes, a knob of fresh ginger and romaine lettuce to the grocery list.

We had this delicious dressing in the restaurant at our hotel
when we visited the islands a few year's ago.
The recipe is one that I put together from memory--a delicious memory.

The twice-baked potato was uncovered in the freezer and was a welcome find!!



Kahala Salad Dressing

1 Tbsp sesame seeds

1/4 cup fresh lime juice
3 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1 Tbsp fresh lemon grass, minced (I used jarred)
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp fish sauce
2 garlic cloves, rough chop
1 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, about a cup loosely packed

1.  In a small skillet, toast the sesame seeds until lightly browned.  Watch carefully as this takes only a minute or two.
2.  Combine the rest of the ingredients, except for the vegetable oil, in the bowl of a food processor.  Process for about thirty seconds.  With the processor on, slowly drizzle in the vegetable oil.
3.  Refrigerate for at least an hour.

We like this over romaine lettuce but it's delicious on a variety of greens.  Toss the greens of your choice with the Parmesan cheese, drizzle with the dressing and top with the toasted sesame seeds.

You may hear the strings of a ukelele being plucked in the background!!

ENJOY!

17 comments:

  1. looks great from here, especially that twice baked tater.. yum..Hawaii dreaming is a good way to escape the cold

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hawaii too! Your salad dressing sounded fabulous! And your twice baked potato did too! Hope you will be able to venture out soon. Stay warm, and stay safe!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good ... it is hard to find good dressings that don't have sugar.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the idea of that dressing..

    Brr it's cold here today!
    I have a fire..an oven.. toys..:)I am all set!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Hawaii also and have been thinking about how great it would be to be on the beach there with a tall drink. That potato and broccoli looks delicious and the dressing sounds perfect for Hawaii!

    I think I hear the uke now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely meal to warm your memories of Hawaii. I would be crawling the walls in your situation Bonnie. Stay warm and I'm thinking of you.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dressing looks good. We call those "potato boats." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ut oh, there's that fish sauce again! Sounds like you had a nice meal, anything that brings back warmer weather memories is welcome right now:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anything remotely tropical makes me feel warmer so thank you for this tropical salad, Bonnie! I think we could likely manage 1-2 weeks with food on hand but dairy products would be the biggest problem. I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have yet to visit Hawaii, Bonnie. It is definitely on my bucket list! Your sauce sounds so tropical and delicious. How many days till spring? Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum . . . I am inviting you over to cook for me this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We need to do a little dreaming about Hawaii!! Atlanta is just getting over a two-day snow in and right about now, fresh and green is on my list. The mix of flavors you've described sounds scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "From A Writer's Kitchen" has been included in the Sites To See for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/02/sites-to-see_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm dreaming with you, Bonnie! And, I know we are much better off as far as the cold goes... but, I'm ready for long summer days and warm nights! ;) Thank you for the dressing and the daydream! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems we all are dreaming of warmer climes. I was in Hawaii once and loved the fresh food. I was so surprised at how huge the poinsettias were. Going for a drive and reaching out to pick a Hibiscus along the narrow road. I'm always looking for a new salad dressing and this one looks interesting...Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's always exciting at our house
    to find soething useful in the
    freezer. Both look tasty.

    Hope your weather warms up soon.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks GORGEOUS. I'm dreaming with you now!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.