Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Canine Valentine Treats From, and For, Oliver

Oliver wanted me to remind you
of these treats for your best canine friends.
He's such a thoughtful boy.

I've been making this recipe for close to thirty years now.
It started with our first dalmatian, Cooper.  
Cooper grew up with the boys and loved us for fourteen years.

Along came Argos, our liver-spotted dalmatian. 
He loved us for eleven years.

Oliver continues our line of dalmatians.
Obviously we love the breed.


Pretty on a plate.


Tied up with a red ribbon.



Oliver's Heart and Bone Valentine Cookies

1 pkg. dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 Tbsp dried parsley 
1 tsp dried oregano
1 clove minced fresh garlic
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp honey
1 egg, lightly beaten
5 to 6 cups whole wheat flour

1.  In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water.  Stir in the parsley, oregano, garlic, chicken broth, honey and egg.  Blend in enough flour to form a stiff dough.

2.  Turn out onto a lightly oiled board and knead until smooth.

3.  Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut into shapes.  Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.

4.  Bake in a 300 degree oven for 30 minutes.  Turn over and bake an additional 30 minutes.  Turn oven off and leave the cookies in the oven for at least two hours to overnight.  They should be very hard.

5.  Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.

12 comments:

  1. We went to our friends home for dinner and Nick showed me all the heart treats he bakes for Bennie:)

    Just like you for Oliver.
    I thought it was so cute..now you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Oliver is ready for the taste test to begin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oliver, I think you are someone's Valentine.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is he giving valentine gifts to his friends?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a sweet/spicy little doggie treat. Is Oliver delivering the boxes to friends?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Almost makes me wish I had a dog. Almost ...

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky Oliver! If we didn't have 2 cats, I'd have another dog again. Anyway, I should make these for my son and DIL's 2 Wheaton Terriers. Maybe that would calm them down for a couple of minutes! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bonnie! Oh, what a cute doggy! I have never made doggy treats but these do sound easy so I may just try some. Thank you for popping in to see me and your kind comments.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my gosh, oliver is so cute and i've pinned this for ozzy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending Oliver a Valentine hug!! LOL! He's a lucky boy! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet thing to do for your faithful friend! He is so focused on you...what love he has. I should take time to bake for our sweet pups. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always nice to make a special treat for a friend:@)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.