Friday, February 7, 2014

Almond Butter Cookies for Your Valentine


This is the winter of my discontent!  You know I like a climate with four seasons.  That I prefer cold to hot is also well known.  Snow, in some sense of moderation, is also acceptable.  Being housebound for a week is not acceptable.  Our 1921 house does not have an attached garage.  In fact, it probably didn't have a garage at all when it was built.  Along the way, a nice two-and-a-half-car garage was added.  From the house to the garage is a slightly sloping walkway.  That walkway has been covered with a thick sheet of ice for over a week.  Hacking away at it has proven futile.  The temperatures have been too low for salt to work.  Walk through the snow on the lawn?  Nope!  It is over four feet deep now.  More snow is on the way this weekend.  I guess I'll just continue to whine for awhile longer.  First, I'll do some baking.

Valentine's Day is coming so I'll make these cookies for my two-legged Valentine, the neighbor who has been plowing our driveway and anyone else who can make it to my door next week.


Almond Butter Cookies adapted from the Chicago Tribune

1 cup brown sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup almond butter (or creamy peanut butter)
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp granulated sugar

1.  Beat the brown sugar, butter and almond butter together until light and fluffy.  Add the egg, vanilla and almond extract and mix in.  Add the flour, baking soda and salt.  Stir only until combined.  Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill at least an hour to overnight.

2.  Preheat the oven to 350.  Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and coat in the sugar.  Transfer to a lightly sprayed cookie sheet and place 2 inches apart.  Using a fork, press the cookies down slightly using a criss-cross pattern.

3.  Bake until firm with golden brown edges, about ten minutes.  Cool slightly on baking sheet and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container.

To be really decadent, dip half of each cookie into melted chocolate.

ENJOY!



18 comments:

  1. "anyone else who can make it to my door next week." Okay, now that is a challenge. Wish I could accept it. Afraid the snow is keeping me away...that and the extreme cold. Otherwise, I would love a cookie or too. Hang in there...spring is on the horizon. Nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really feel for your situation with the weather Bonnie. It has been much beyond the norm and I think you are a trouper for hanging in there with a good attitude and a welcome sign at the front door. We've got friends from Tronoto coming for the weekend and I know they will welcome the warmth of south Florida. Wish you could be with us. But I know you neighbors appreciate those precious cookies.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cookies sound wonderful the weather and trip to the garage does not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be going stir crazy, Bonnie. It just doesn't stop. At least it's a good time to catch up with your baking. Spring feels very far away right now. Everything is closed here in Portland due to snow. 5-6 inches is a lot for us...I know it's nothing for you. Brrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love 1920's homes~
    Part of their charm is often a detached garage..or 2..
    Cookies look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh ... how will I choose between these and your amazing shortbread cookies.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ps. Praying we make it back to the wintry Chicagoland tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look delightful!

    I went back to school today after being off for
    three days. Who knows when the last day of school
    will be now.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband's parents lived in a home with an unattached garage. I don't know how they did it for so many years. It is a treacherous walk in the winter. I'm glad you're being safe and not tempting a broken whatever but I'm sure it is driving you stir-crazy.

    Almond cookies sound like the most delicious cure :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You deserve a little whine. :) At least you're warm and have butter to bake with. Those cookies look good! Hope they help you keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard someone say they are using plain ole table salt to fight the ice culprit this winter. And supposedly it is working like a charm.
    The Almond Butter cookies sound wonderful right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cookies sound good. I am sorry for all of you who are so snowed in!!! It is easy for someone like me to say that they love the snow, when we don't actually LIVE in it!!! Going up to the mountains is not the same as dealing with it daily.
    Be safe, and stay warm!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cookies sound great! I know what you're saying about the weather! I've been without power for 3 days, thankfully, it just came back on! Take care:@)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, our snow arrived this morning. Not much, but it has slowed us down a bit. The cookies look delicious! I love to bake, especially cookies. Stay safe and off the ice, please.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that last bit, dipped in chocolate got to me! Sounds good. And you do really sound homebound. Walking in the snow on the side would be what I would do but not when it is that deep. Snow shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful Bonnie! Still I dont make any for Valentines:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. (Loved your canine treats!)
    I feel for you, Bonnie. My kids in Michigan can't believe the winter they're having and my sister sent me a photo of a frozen wave in the Mackinaw Island area. Amazing!
    Yep, cooking is the answer. Your cookies look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my goodness, I love browned butter and almonds. This would be such a treat!! I hope things warm up for you soon!! This has been a harsh winter all around. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Please use old address.....http://balisha-neverenoughtime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.