Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Bloom's English Toffee


This toffee has been on my December "to do" list since our Texas years.  The recipe card is fading and one corner was chewed off by a toddler boy many years ago.  The same boy that looks forward to a bag of the toffee every Christmas.  It comes from a friend who managed to make batches with an infant in one arm and three little ones hanging onto her apron strings!!  While I don't recommend making it with children around, it is the easiest toffee recipe that I've tried.  Five good quality ingredients and patient stirring is all that's required.





Bloom's English Toffee from K. Bloom and just as she taught me

1/2 lb butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup finely ground pecans
8 oz good quality chocolate, finely grated

1.  You will need a jelly roll pan or a pan with sides (about 11 1/2 x 9).

2.  Melt the butter, over low heat,  in a large heavy frying pan.  I use my old cast iron skillet.  When melted, turn the heat to high and add all of the sugar and almonds.

3.  Stir continuously with a wide spatula.  You can see the type I use in the first photo.  I actually  try to fold, rather  than stir.  Continue stirring/folding constantly covering the entire surface of the pan until the toffee is a golden brown.  This change in color can occur fairly quickly.  It usually takes 5 to 6 minutes.  Just be ready to pour it out before it goes too far and burns.  Be very careful as the toffee is HOT!

4.  Press on the hot mixture and spread out as much as possible (1/4" thickness is best).  As you can see in the top photo, it won't fill the entire pan.

5.  As soon as you've spread the mixture, top with the chocolate.  Let it melt and then spread out as evenly as possible.  Immediately sprinkle the nuts over and, carefully, press down a bit.  Let cool completely and set up.  I stick it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.  Break into pieces.

ENJOY!


18 comments:

  1. At last! A good old fashioned toffee recipe I have had before (similar) and know you can trust.. I see so many floating around and by one look I can tell they aren't from an old fashioned recipe- so I pass. This one looks perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious Bonnie and I love all of the nuts in it. How nice that you've kept the card all these years.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious, and I love that it is so easy. Had it been a recipe which requires a candy thermometer and getting to some sort of "hard crack" stage, I would have checked out at the beginning of the recipe, but, alas, this I will try.

    I love, also, that it is a precious Christmas memory for you.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you describe the history of this recipe ... and don't you love the old recipe cards? They themselves could tell many stories! It looks like an easy recipe ... I like those that don't require a candy thermometer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love toffee!! I need to try to make this for my family Christmas we are having on the 23rd before my Mom leaves to visit my brother for Christmas.

    And you are right, the Marshall Field's windows were way better than Macy's - still a fun day though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, that sounds so good and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Daddy-o is a sucker for toffee. If I can break myself out of this funk that I'm in, I think I'll try this. Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Mama used to make toffee every Christmas --and we'd give it as gifts to my teachers, etc... It was SO good--but I haven't had any toffee for years and years... Makes me YEARN for some now.... My mother's recipe didn't have any chocolate in it though... Thanks for sharing...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet it smells just divine and tastes the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love toffee and you sure made this recipe sound nice and easy-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love toffe and these look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well heck I can certainly stir, so I might be able to pull this off. I love toffee but have never made it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I can do this! My kids will be getting some of this in their goodie boxes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE toffee but have never made it. I'm saving this one to the recipe box! Bonnie, wishing you and yours the merriest of Christmases!! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie, Roger loves toffee. I've looked for a recipe. You've given me another keeper.

    Thank you for you sweet comment. I would love to have you for dinner as well. One day we are destined to meet. I feel certain. Have a wonderful Christmas. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.