Monday, November 26, 2012

Cranberry Cake

The last of the silver has been put away.  The dining room table is back to it's normal size.  There's just enough turkey left to go into a soup.  There are sweet memories of a delicious afternoon with loved ones gathered around our table for Thanksgiving.  

Thanks to the ever present extra bag (or two) of fresh cranberries, this favorite cake was possible over the weekend.  It has become a "kick off" to preparing for the Christmas season.  

Now to start hauling out our Christmas nostalgia!!





Cranberry Upside Down Cake-Gourmet Magazine 1980 with no tweaking from me that I can recall

Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch round cake pan with three tbsp softened unsalted butter.

Sprinkle 1/2 cup of sugar evenly over the bottom of the pan and arrange a 12 ounce (because it is no longer a pound bag) of fresh cranberries evenly over the sugar.

3/4 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp orange zest

Beat the above ingredients together until fluffy.

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp  baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Sift the above ingredients together

Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture, 1/2 cup at a time alternating with 1/2 cup of milk until just combined.

Pour the batter over the cranberries and carefully smooth out.

Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for about 1 hour--until browned on top.

Let rest in the pan on a rack for 20 minutes.

Run a knife around the edges and unmold onto a platter.

ENJOY!

22 comments:

  1. YUM!YUM!YUM! The cranberries on the top with that sweet rich sauce just is to good to be true! I am drooling

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you kick off the holiday season with your festive looking cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love cranberries and this looks amazing to me. i think I can smell it.... so easy a non cook could do it

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving, I'm not big into cranberries (for one, husband can't eat many) but I did make cranberry lemon bread last week and it was a big hit.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This beautiful cake has my mouth watering, Bonnie. We love cranberries and your cake looks delicious. I would never have thought to use the berries right out of the bag. Love that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful cake Bonnie!!! It sounds like you had a very lovely Thanksgiving too. I am debating on what to make with the rest of our turkey. Pot pie, or soup???
    Have a great day!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious Bonnie. You know I love cranberries, so this sounds right up my alley.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some cranberries in the fridge...I would love this cake...Thanks for the recipe.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad to have spent my Thanksgiving, and I'm so happy!!!!!
    Great recipe!!!

    xoxoxoxoxoxo, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum---what a great dessert during this season. I love cranberries --any way I can get them. My hubby makes a delicious Cranberry Relish --which we always eat for Thanksgiving and Christmas. SO GOOD... BUT--that cake looks awesome also. Thanks!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! This looks like a wonderful way to kick-off the Christmas season... and make good use of those leftover bags of cranberries! ;) My Evan LOVES cranberry-anything! This will be a hit with him! Thank you, Bonnie. So glad your holiday was a delicious afternoon!! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy! I thinks cranberries make the perfect Christmas dessert. And, I can rationalize by saying cranberries are good for you (we just won't mention the sugar:)) Have a wonderful week Bonnie. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a very pretty start to the Christmas Season-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just looking at that photo makes my mouth water. What a wonderful recipe -- thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful cake ... seems the perfect transition into the Christmas season.

    I was at Whole Food this week, and remembering our delightful meeting there. Am I remembering it correctly that it was around Thanksgiving?

    Glad your table was full.

    Fondly,

    Glenda



    ReplyDelete
  16. It is such a joy reading your recipes...even if I don't actually make them. Well...sometimes, I do. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful cake! I love cranberries - my husband, not so much but maybe mixed into a dessert like this he'd be tempted ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great reason to stock up on cranberries while they're in season! This looks yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, this is beautiful. Something that MUST be made for Christmas eve or day, it shouts Merry Christmas! I can't wait to see what Christmas goodies you make!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum! And so pretty!
    I made soup from leftover turkey too.
    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've made a similar cake....loved it. And it was so simple! Have passed on the recipe to many friends who have made it with great success.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cranberries are such a favorite of mine, that I buy tons of bags and freeze them for the rest of the year when they aren't available. I wish that I had this cake recipe for Thanksgiving! So I'll save it for next year!!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.