Friday, November 30, 2012

Candied Citrus




It's time to be starting the stollens, cranberry breads and various cookies.  Many of my recipes call for candied fruits, especially orange peel.  I start saving citrus peel in early November.  It keeps well wrapped and placed in the refrigerator.  This year, I'm only doing orange peel as we seem to have consumed less grapefruit (although delicious).

It's a real treat with a cup of afternoon tea as is--even better when one end is dipped in melted chocolate. I'll chop it as needed to go into sweet treats for the holiday baking.

I include it in my repertoire of food gifts.  Packaged in a pretty tin and paired with a special tea, it makes a nice hostess gift as well.


Candied Citrus Peel

3 large navel oranges, well scrubbed
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Carefully remove the peel from the oranges.  This is easier if you cut through the peel in four sections.

Cut the four sections of peel into eight sections and, with a sharp knife, cut away as much of the white pith as possible.

Cut the eight sections into pieces approximately 2 1/2 inches by 1/4 inches.  This is entirely up to you.  You may even dice them depending on how you'll use them.

Put into a pan and cover with cold water.  Bring to a boil and gently simmer for five minutes.  Drain and repeat the process once.  This gets rid of some of the bitterness.  I happen to like the bitterness and sometimes skip this step altogether. 

Place the water and sugar in a heavy saucepan and heat to dissolve the sugar.  When dissolved, bring to a boil and add the orange peel.  Simmer for approximately 45 minutes, uncovered,  or until the peel becomes translucent.    

Remove from heat, drain, and spread onto a baking sheet lined with parchment.  Allow to cool slightly before dredging in sugar to just coat.  Place back on the parchment and allow to dry at room temperature overnight.  Place in an airtight container.  This keeps for a very long time--months if you can refrain from eating them.

If you would like a real treat, dip the peels into melted chocolate to coat about an inch.

ENJOY!

22 comments:

  1. Your pictures make me drool! I love candied citrus... and dipping it in chocolate is like gilding the lily! Just decedent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we lived in Viet Nam, candied coconut was a big holiday treat.

    I have never candied citrus, and this looks so delicious.

    Merry month of December, Bonnie. All those delicious smells in your kitchen.

    fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never made my own candied peel before but I do love the stuff and use it in a lot of recipes... and dipped in dark chocolate it's lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate and orange is one of my favorite sweet combinations! I just bought some of these in Berkeley the a couple of weeks ago, and they guy imports the orange peels from either Spain or Italy. Very tasty. It is a small chocolate maker in Emeryville, actually near Pixar :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to PEEL oranges? LOL just kidding. it sounds good to me and I love the photo

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear friend Gayle, from Baton Rouge LA makes these. She gave us her Mama's recipe. I have yet to make them, but now I think I shall!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to try your recipe -- I always have a hard time with candied citrus -- mine never come out looking as beautiful as those you've pictured!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this sounds wonderful! I love orange anything...anytime of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds fabulous. I've never made candied citrus. It's so pretty, like a jewel.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful, and I bet tastier than sugarplums! Love that header!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yum! I've only made chocolate covered orange peel once and it was good! I'd like to make some candied orange peel for Stolen:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoy candied citrus. I would never have thought to store the peel until I was ready to use-very cool.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  13. this look and sounds really delicious, these are the same you can bath in chocolate? my mom love these!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lovely to hear of your preparations for Christmas Bonnie! It makes me a bit sad though as I used to do such a lot of cooking, making Christmas cakes and puddings and mince pies. I can't do that anymore but we shall still have a lovely Christmas at my daughters. Love and hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea. I may try this with some lemon halves I have in the freezer. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never taken the time to make my own candied citrus peel and I bet it is so much better than what I purchase. Many of my recipes call for candied orange and lemon peel. Thanks, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never done this. I remember my mom, buying it from a candy store. I had a neighbor who was from England...she used to order it every Christmas and give me a little.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mom candied citrus when we were young... then stopped somewhere along the way and we lost this tradition... you remind me every Christmas... =) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love chocolate and orange together. I bet these have much more flavor than anything you'd buy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This takes me somewhere in my past .. so familiar. I love to give gifts of food ... usually well appreciated and consumed!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful candied orange pieces, Bonnie! I know I would love them dipped in chocolate ;)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.