Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Coddled Eggs

Our Rhode Island family is safe and sound!  Thanks to all of you who expressed concern and said prayers.  It's so good to see the effort going on to bring relief to all those affected by the hurricane.  I just read that buses were running again in NYC.  It is overwhelming to think about what needs to be done but the work has started.

We've had a few blustery days here in the midwest.  Sandy certainly believed in sharing!!  This morning, the sun is out and the winds are not as strong.  I suspect that many trees have given up their leaves over the past few days.  They will provide spooky backdrops for the young Trick or Treaters who'll stroll the streets this evening.

Events of nature and of man over the past week have given me a need for simplicity and comfort at the table.  As Hurricane Sandy was meeting up with the n'or easter, I pulled out a pair of charming egg coddlers from the china cupboard and put together this simple supper.  A dear friend sent me the coddlers after her mother passed away.  They are a lovely reminder of an elegant lady.  One we were invited to share visits with at many holidays during our Texas years.

Here is the simple and delicious recipe.





Coddled Eggs for two

Softened butter

2 Tbsp heavy cream or half and half
1 tsp finely minced cooked ham
1 1/2 Tbsp minced fresh spinach leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
2 large eggs
1 tsp finely chopped fresh chives

1.  In a pan large enough to hold the coddlers, pour water to a depth of 1 1/2 inches and bring to a boil over high heat.  Note:  If you don't have egg coddlers, you may use standard size ramekins covered tightly with foil.
2.  Into each of the coddlers, place a tablespoon of the cream.  Add to each half of the ham and spinach.
Sprinkle a small amount of salt and pepper into the coddlers.  Carefully break an egg into each and cover with the tops.
3.  Carefully place into the boiling water and quickly reduce the heat to a simmer.  Cover the saucepan with it's lid.  Simmer gently for six minutes.  Remove the lids and sprinkle with the chives.

ENJOY




27 comments:

  1. I have never seen an egg coddler before. I think I would like to try this! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Donna~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Donna. I hope you'll try the eggs.

      Delete
  2. Those sound wonderful! Glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we don't coddle our eggs, but we do have to coddled dogs here.... the eggs make a beautiful photo....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know all about your spoiled, coddled dogs Sandra! We have one just like them.

      Delete
  4. So glad you are okay Bonnie. I don't think I've ever eaten a coddled egg. But I sure like the name :)
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds very English, I say! And comforting too.

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds perfect for such a time as this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh....I have coddlers. Sounds like the perfect simple supper. So glad your children are safe. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. That would depend on your poacher. You could use a cup as long as it isn't too large.

      Delete
  9. Ok, but are the eggs all the way done? I am so NOT a runny egg girl. Everything looks and sounds yummy, but the egg has to be done for me. My dad used to think that the best cure for the flu was a three minute egg, and in my humble opinion, that is what would start the whole mess going! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the eggs are done--or, you can make sure they are. I do not like liquid albumin on my plate either!!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a perfect comfort food, Bonnie. We could all use a little comfort from time to time. Some need lots about now. Glad things are beginning to settle a little. Hope you have a wonderful Halloween evening. blessings ~ tanna
    ps are you sad to have missed your first fall at the foot of the Parkway?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bonnie and it's so good to hear you and your family are okay after Sandy! Such a scary storm.
    Now I've never had eggs like this but they look good and tasty!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad your family is ok! I found a couple of egg coddlers at a second hand store this summer, and had to look up how to use them. This sounds like a wonderful way to break them in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sandy was a very scary storm and I am glad she is gone. I'm not sure why I have not had coddled eggs the recipe outbids so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had hoped to get to the lake front to see the huge waves they were predicting on Lake Michigan but here in Milwaukee they closed access. I'm sure they didn't want wind surfers drowning.

    So glad to hear your family on the east coast is safe!

    Lovely coddled eggs. I love egg brunches on cold weekends!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your coddled eggs look like delicious comfort food to me, Bonnie. I'm glad your son and daughter-in-law did not have damage from the hurricane! We also feel incredibly lucky to have so little damage when only blocks away people's houses were flooded. My husband and I will be helping out in a local relief effort tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't made these in a age. Now you've gone and put the bug in my bonnet :-)I'm glad that your son and daughter-in-law are safe and sound. I'll wager you had some worrisome moments during the course of the storm. Have a greatweekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. We were very lucky that Hurricane Sandy took a turn, otherwise I think Massachusetts (where I live) would have had severe devastation. We had high winds, and severe rain - overall, very fortunate. I'm glad to hear your family is well.

    I have had these eggs, but not in an elegant coddler, I've cooked mine in the ramekins. I like the addition of the chives!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its been many years since I've seen pretty egg coddlers like yours. Food always tastes better when served in special dishes. I'll have to settle for ramekins but know we will love these eggs anyway. So happy to read that your family is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. do you know I have never done this before? Why not sure? But when will I- as soon as I can after seeing your post. Looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  20. So good to hear that you are all right. Thanks for the recipe, I have to try that soon. Have a great rest of the week.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  21. This (like a good soup) is pure COMFORT food. I need to drag my Irish coddlers out of the cupboard (as soon as we make it home) and do a special breakfast.

    Happy week and so glad your R.I. family is safe. Wish that all the suffering could end. This was a humdinger. Our little Maine cottage survived too.

    Cheers,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do not have egg coddlers, yours a so cute. I make mine in a ramekins; what a nice meal on a cold day. Good to be back to my blogging friends.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad your family is safe.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.