(Note: I have no idea how my photo turned out like this. Does anyone? It looks like I played around in IPhoto but I didn't.)
I picked up this perfect pomegranate on Saturday and it patiently waited on the counter to star in a special way.
Pomegranate, Apple, Walnut and Goat Cheese Salad
6 ounces goat cheese, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
white of one egg, slightly beaten
Handful of pomegranate seeds
Handful of sugared walnuts
1 medium Macintosh apple, thinly sliced
1. For the dressing I did a simple vinaigrette formula of 1 cup good olive oil, 1/2 cup of vinegar (I actually had a lovely pomegranate vinegar but you can use a balsamic), 1/2 tsp sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk all together. It will keep for a week or more refrigerated.
2. Dip the cheese slices in the egg white then dredge all over in the bread crumbs. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before proceeding.
3. On a large plate, arrange the salad greens, top with the apple slices and drizzle with the vinaigrette.
4. In a medium saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter until butter is melted.
5. Saute the goat cheese slices until nicely browned on both sides, about three minutes per side. Place on the salad greens and apples. Sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds and walnuts.