With the exception of the cabbage, all the ingredients are probably already in your kitchens. So, if you are still viewing snow (sandy beaches are o.k.), head into the kitchen and put on a pot. It's a fast one.
Savoy Cabbage Soup
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp sugar
3 cups flavorful chicken stock
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes and their juice
2 medium potatoes, quartered and thinly sliced or five fingerling potatoes thinly sliced
3 cups of roughly chopped savoy cabbage (or any cabbage)
1 Tbsp tomato paste
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute, stirring frequently, until opaque--about 3 minutes. Add the chopped garlic and stir for 1 minute. Sprinkle the sugar over and stir.
2. Add the chicken stock and the tomatoes. Partially cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add the potatoes and simmer an additional five minutes.
4. Add 2 cups of the cabbage and simmer an additional ten minutes.
4. Stir in the tomato paste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the remaining one cup of cabbage and simmer an additional 5 minutes.